Craig Scott

Craig Scott
Mike Vitelli and Craig Scott

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Exciting News!

Think about something that REALLY gets you excited. It may be a video game, items of clothing, weekends, restaurants, etc. I wanted to preface this blog entry with that so maybe you can understand better why what I'm about to share excites me. It has to do with CPR and saving lives!! THAT is the kind of thing that excites Wellness teachers. It may be boring to you (as video games are to me) but what I'm about to share is something as a Wellness department that we are stoked about.Through the cooperation of Wheaton College and the Norton Fire Dept. each student is going to get an opportunity to learn some basics about CPR AND to take home an inflatable "Annie" doll that comes with a life saving DVD and get the opportunity to share their knew found knowledge with others in their life. If someone dropped in front of you and was in cardiac arrest, would you be able to do anything to help keep that person alive long enough for medical personal to arrive? Anyone can call 911, but can you keep the heart pumping and keep oxygen going to that person's brain long enough? What if that person were a neighbor, a teacher, a friend or worse a familly member?? Even if you didn't have the courage to perform the task, you might be able to walk someone through it that could. This presentation along with the take home "practice" doll might be the difference between someone you love living or dying. This is a one of a kind program right now and we at NHS are very fortunate to have been selected to take part in this program. I am excited that we all get an opportunity to learn some valuable "life saving" skills and also get a chance to pass it along. If you're not excited about this or you can't embrace it the way we as a department will, then we ask you to pass it along to your family members so that they can appreciate the importance of this opportunity. We really feel like this ties into our "new look" Wellness program and really puts the emphasis on a healthier living style. Fit for now, FIT FOR LIFE!

1 comment:

NHS Student Council said...

I think the CPR training program was a great success! I really liked how we had a hands-on experience practicing on the mannequin. The mannequin is such a useful tool and it definitely gives me more confidence in my CPR abilities. I’m really glad I got the chance to participate in this program, and after this, I don’t think I’ll ever forget how to do CPR!